ticker

Monday, December 14, 2009

A GREAT weekend in Memphis

We went to Memphis this past weekend, and had an absolute blast! The plan was to got to the Orpheum to see the Nutcracker for my birthday! Jay graciously "babysat" Zeus while we were gone. I really appreciated it. I have only been away from Zeus 3 nights since I got him. Once, he went to the duck camp with Roger, and the other two nights I was in the hospital with my shoulder surgery. He is spoiled rotten, and I really appreciated Jay being willing to stay home with him. They did great!

I was really disappointed with the Nutcracker. Roger is not much of a music and arts person, and I really am. I knew that going to the balled would be a different kind of experience for him. I knew he wouldn't love it, but I hoped that he could appreciate the abilities of the dancers, and the colors and costumes. Unfortunately, the performance that we saw was not very good. I was very disappointed that it was not a dynamic and catching performance at all. There was very little energy, and even I (the experienced one) wanted to leave at intermission. Roger was a good sport, and hopefully something good will come to the Orpheum in the new year, and we will go so I can introduce him to the thrill of a Broadway play (that is more fun to me than the ballet anyway).

Despite the disappointment of the ballet, we had an awesome time. As we were leaving the Orpheum, we came across a "cinderella carriage" with an 11 week old yellow lab riding with the driver! On the carriage ride, I got to snuggle with the puppy. She was so sweet! Roger said he was glad that I didn't have $500 cash on me because he is pretty sure that if I had we would have gone home with a new puppy!! We also hit up a little blues bar, and finished the night at Texas de Brazil which is the BEST food!!

We spent the night that the Peabody hotel, which was of course nice. Roger has never even seent the ducks walk! Unfortunately, we were not around when they walked, so he still hasn't seen them. That hotel has special meaning to me. It is where Gary proposed to my mom. It was also the place where we took our last trip with my mom. Her last Christmas, Me, Jay, and my grandmother took her to see a play at the Orpheum and to the Peabody. It is a wonderful memory, and I am glad that I was able to go again during Christmas time. It was one of her favorite places! The decorations for christmas were breathtaking. The Peabody is just one of those silly places where I feel at home. It is very comforting in a way.

It was great for me and Roger to have a weekend just us. It was also really fun for me to do something that I wanted to do that was completely frivilous. Don't get me wrong, I love fishing and hunting and all that we do outside, but it was fun to dress up and drink martinis! We did, of course finish the weekend with a trip to the wood store for Roger!








Would you not have bought this sweet girl? Her name was Maggie, and I felt like she would have made the perfect little sister for Zeus and Boss!!


Tell us what you really thought of the ballet, Roger! :)

The biggest tree EVER at the Peabody! All of the Christmas decorations were great!





No comments:

Post a Comment