ticker

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Sn Will Come Out Tomorow





Me and Jennifer went to see "Annie" last night in Tupelo, and had an absolutely wonderful time! We left right after she got off work at 5, and zipped to Tupelo. We ate at Park Heights http://www.eatwithus.com/parkheights/ in downtown Tupelo. It was WONDERFUL! It was pretty fancy, and a bit on the pricey side, but it was wonderful!! Plus, it was right by the Bancorp South Arena, which is where we went for the play.

I have to make the observation that watching this particular play as an adult was completely different than watching it )or the movie) when I was a kid. I had no idea how historically accurate and perhaps significant it was. As a child, I saw a cute red headed kid with a dog. As an adult, I realized that Annie was one of the many children who were dropped off at orphanages during the Great Depression by parents who simply could not afford to feed them. Imagine the pain and heartache of those parents! I was also mortified by the officer who ran the homeless group out of the Hooverville. Just imagine that lifestyle by people who were not accustomed to it at all. I, like my mother have a great appreciation and interest in FDR, so I enjoyed his role in the story. Great story! There were a lot of little girls at the performance. It was interesting to observe because they were all so excited at the beginning, there were a lot of tears at intermission when mothers were telling their girls that they would not buy them a twenty dollar Sandy beany baby, and there were lots of mothers carring their children out asleep at the end. It was almost ten thirty when we got out of there, and after midnight when I got home. I was exhausted this morning, so I know that there were several little girls sleeping through school today!

I am still feeling a little overwhelmed by the beginning of classes this semester, but I know that I can handle it. I just gotta remember to take a little bit at a time. It was interesting, we were asked to bring an object or picture of an object that symbolized who we are for one of my classes. The instructor suggested asking friends and family! I asked around, and my sister said a flower, because I sometimes wilt on the dark days, spring up on the good days, but always come back in full beautiful bloom. I thought that was quite a compliment! Roger said that I was like a river in that sometimes I am tumultous and sometimes calm, but always keep flowing. I liked these because they came from two very different people, but were similar in characteristics. In the end, I took a picture of a dog with boxing gloves to symbolize that I am a fighter! I have faced a lot of adversity in the past several years, but I fought it and won! I also love animals, and that is a huge part of who I am! Fun times!

Happy Hump Day Everybody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment